What's it all about?

I decided to write a blog following my training and triathlon season. For me, I have always participated in sports for as along as I can remember, whether it was being one of the only girls playing football with the boys, playing hockey at numerous clubs or running around cross country circuits in the pouring rain. This year I plan to work hard on my swimming, cycling and running in an effort to qualify for the World Championships in Triathlon and represent my age group. I hope that you enjoy my blog or rather my ramblings and feel free to comment.

Kerry X


Friday 15 June 2012

Summer........ What Summer?

Well haven't we all been having fun in the sun??? No? Well that's been the story of my life and everyone else I know who has been training. Wind, rain and cold. We have had it all. And the timing couldn't have been worse!

The Dambuster Triathlon is less than 24 hours away and I have been constantly checking the weather with every click hoping that by some miracle the weather forecasters have got it wrong and that the heavy gusts and gales predicted will not materialise! Oh well, it can only make you stronger I suppose, but having raced Woodhall in the pouring rain, and Lincoln pretty much, it has been a rather varied race season so far.
Being only my second ever Olympic distance event, the Dambuster for me is pretty much my main race of the season, some call it their A race, others might call it the one above all others. For me it is simply the one where I wanted to perform my best with over 6 months of hard training, weight loss and strength gain all under my belt. I say wanted as with the predicted weather I am certain that this will have a great effect on my performance. Not so much with the swim (although there are rumours of a shorter swim due to temperature) but more so on the bike. If I decide to don a jacket, that will be the 3rd time racing in a jacket, and I pray to god that the wind is favourable for a majority of the bike, although I am probably wishful thinking!

The Dambuster for me in 2011 has some awful memories and for me it was all about being strong and at least trying to finish. Last year I had the worst preparation for an Olympic distance event ever. I was firstly injured with those awful shin splints and therefore was not fully race fit, but I wasn't prepared to lose my race fee (remember also that I had only just come out of a splint for my wrist two months earlier!). Also I was pretty tired having driven up to Sunderland and back down to Essex before finishing the week off in Glasgow for work and flying back on the Friday night before the race- again not ideal race preparation. It was to be my second ever Olympic distance, so you would have thought I would have been fitter, but having only completed a small number of training sessions, I was well and truly over estimating my capabilities.
Anyway, race morning dawned and after a hectic start, I was pleased to come out of the water with a half decent swim time. I then began to run into T1 with Will cheering me on. I glanced over and shouted had he finished, to which he replied that he had pulled out. So there again the mindset took a tumble. Knowing that Will had pulled out, having not run anything over 2 miles in the run up to the event, and having some very dark clouds appear overhead, I was already beginning to crumble.
No matter I thought, onwards and to the bike. After starting off pretty well, I began to get passed, and more people began to pass me, and even more, until I thought I must be the last person on the bike here. I was it was safe to say pretty demoralised, and even began to cry. My thoughts were an absolute mess and my mind was set on getting back to T2 and pulling out. Having seen Will pull out, I then thought that not finishing was a serious option for me. It didn't help matters when 3/4s of the way through the bike the heavens opened and I got hail and rain thrown down on top of me stinging my face and arms. Such a relief it was to get back into T2 and rack my bike. Again though my mind was racing between "run run run" and "stop stop stop". Racking my bike, I then thought it's all over............ until I thought no carry on you silly twit. Putting on my shoes and running out of T2 I felt OK, until literally the first gate about 300m away. I was really feeling pretty bad and the marshal there at the gate asked me if I was OK and I just about burst into tears. I DID NOT feel OK, I was miserable. Triathlon was meant to be about enjoyment, and I almost wanted to drop down I felt so bad. The lovely man gave me some sweets and told me to try for another 100m, which I eventually did, but knowing the torturous run back and forth over the dam, I decided to call it a day. What an event, my mind was in pieces, my body was screaming at me and I was totally gutted.
Anyway, enough moping, on reflection afterwards and with hindsight it was easy to see that I was under prepared through and through and it would have been better to have not even started, despite losing the entry fee. This year that is all going to be a far distant memory. I AM stronger, fitter, leaner and faster than I have EVER been before and even though the weather gods have decided to be mean and play havoc with us all, I am going to give it my best shot.
Being a Worlds Qualifier means that the competition at this event will be fierce, but I know what to expect and I am ready to fight my demons and destroy the race that almost destroyed me.

Good luck to all of those racing this event this weekend, I know many of you reading this will be taking part or watching (thanks in advance!).

Happy training and Racing!

Kerry X

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog Kerry and you seem like a much stronger athlete this year both mentally and physically. Don't let any negative thoughts enter your head and race your own race....looking forward to reading your very successful race report in a few days. Good luck (not that you need it) xxx

    ReplyDelete